MEU Symposium is a project that gathers the community of BETA partner organisations very year to train new officers of local MEUs and to discuss the future of the network.
After Split, Croatia and Belgrade, Serbia we met our partners in Berlin in July 2017. 17 organisations and 50 of their members took part in this edition.
MEU Symposium is a real community event. We recruit trainers among experienced organisers of MEU Strasbourg as well as all MEU simulations that BETA e.V. has a pleasure to cooperate with. Whereas each MEU can pass the know-how within their own team, the Symposium shows the local organisers that they’re a part of a bigger project. With 9 partner organisations operating under the BETA brand in different countries we also aim at creating an international youth NGO which was discussed during the Symposium as well.
The 2017 edition was full of interesting workshops covering such aspects of MEU format:
- How to prepare the content of an MEU simulation, lead by Francesca Risso (BETA e.V., MEU Strasbourg)
- How to establish an MEU from scratch, lead by Hanna Pieńczykowska (BETA e.V., MEU Warsaw)
- How to establish cooperation with EU institutions and fundraise for an MEU, lead by Tomas Dvorak (BETA e.V., MEU Strasbourg),
- How to create a PR strategy for an MEU, lead by Marta Zemljic (HERMES, MEU Zagreb)
- How to lead and motivate volunteers, lead by Marta Zemljic and Viktor Vukelic (HERMES, MEU Zagreb)
- Project management, lead by Sonja Afanasjeva (Brussels Model European Union)
- Chairing at an MEU simulation, lead by Annaliisa Jäme and Kristan Kalve (BETA Estonia, MEU Tallinn)
- How to prepare the journalists’ section for an MEU conference, lead by Christopher Niederelz (AEGEE Mainz, MEU Mainz)
- Participants’ coordination, lead by Claudio Teixeira (BETA e.V., MEU Strasbourg)
- How to communicate the EU through cooperation with schools by Rosaria Alessia del Vasto, Nadia Paleari (BETA Italia)
In the circle of our partners we discussed a new platform for exchanging the know-how and materials between the partners in the BETA network. We also discussed how to facilitate proliferation of the MEU format through smaller projects in the scope of the European education. The annual MEU Symposium is possible thanks to the generous support of the Erasmus+ programme of the European Commission.
We have already started planning the 2018 edition. If you organise an MEU and are interested in joining our community, please, get in touch with Hanna Pienczykowska, our Head of Concept and Partnerships.